Birdbrain Stuff

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Queensbury North then South

Received this txt msg from DW about 10 mins ago...

Just seen approx 10 Snipe drop into field between cricket club and Fleet Lane. Second field on left when walking away from club; the one with all the rushes.

Thanks a bunch for that Dave. I know exactly which field this is and in the 16 years I've been spoiling Queensbury with my presence I've not seen a wader type in it but often thought there should be. Niceeeeee.

Inspired, I went down to the Cross Lane bog and got a Dunnock only. However at 1425 hrs , 2 minutes after I left incredibly 7 Snipe flew in from NW and dropped down about 40 metres in front of me! There was just a crow or two in the trailer park fields so I headed down to the Green Lane area and eventually home. Other birds seen:
1 Mistle Thrush, 3 Greenfinch, 2 each Dunnock, Meadow Pipit & Pied Wagtail. 3 BHG & 4 Common Gull in flight. Starlings, c47 Jackdaw & other Caaawvids.