Birdbrain Stuff

Saturday, April 02, 2016

After The Storm

Couldnt risk the Albufera in case it pissed down again so another beach job after brekkie. Have to say it was very grey and cloudy with a cold NE'ly blow. Why was I the only one not wearing long sleeves? One obvious aftermath of the tempest (dont Shake yr Spear at me!) was the thousand or so dead baby jellyfish washed up on the shoreline.
2 Swallow, 1 Shelduck, 9 Turnstone, 7 Kentish Plover, 1 Kestrel, 2 Crested & 4 Thekla Lark, c10 Stonechats, 4 Linnet. 3 Sardinian Warbler one of which was taking a bath courtesy of yesterdays downpour.
There were 3 YLG seen and probably around 10 Audouins gull. The latter showed terrortorial behaviour not only in courtship but one was dive bombing a noticeably bigger yellow-legged.
Oh I say, a yellow orb has appeared in a white cloudy sky. I may be forced out again after munch...
Visited the salinas first where I picked up new bird no.1 a Sedge Warbler going nuts with his song. No.2 followed about an hour later in the shape of a Purple Heron flying low towards my left too sudden for the camera.
I decided to walk back to the hotel via the north beach where I picked up newbie no.3 a Sanderling with 2 Kentish. This time I had some good luck with the camera.
RC Pochard reduced in number, Marbled now at 11, Shelduck doing well at c18. 2 Common Tern & Stone Curlew still with us as is a loudly singing Moustached Warbler.

No comments: