Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Hebden Bridge to Gorple

Hard graft from the onset both physical and ornithological. I've never know the woodland stretch be so bereft of birds. Thankfully in the afternoon it improved and I managed a great annual out of it. c8 WW, 2 Chiffchaff, 5 Blackcap, 2 each GSW & Green Woody, 3 Song & 4 Mistle Thrush.
Lower Gorple produced several Curlew & Lapwing, 2 Common Sandpiper, ditto Oystercatcher. A number of Greylag Geese had goslings with them as did a smaller party of Canada.




A Cuckoo called frequently from Blake Dean. I nailed a male Redstart which could be a first at this area for me. Another area first and the highlight and spirit lifter towards the last leg of the return trip was a belting Pied Flycatcher. Seen for an all too short time, I picked it up singing from a spot where some new nestboxes are.

Watch me dance the Lam baaaa da


Others: Wood Warbler song heard briefly. 4 Pied Wagtail, c6 Grey Wagtail, a limited no of woodland species, few Swallow, 2 House Martin.