Birdbrain Stuff

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Raptor Mystery at Ogden

It's confession time. I was about 150 metres away from Halifax Golf Club House at around 1330 hrs when I saw a Crow harrassing a largish raptor. I could discount Buzzard immediately and although not entirely convinced, I settled for Red Kite owing to the silhouette - vivid colours not seen in the few moments of sighting. After texting DW & BS I realised the other confusion species - Marsh Harrier! Therefore I won't be recording none of the two on Birdtrack, but I still am happy to have seen either or.

After that, it was all downhill, or rather uphill across the golf course, Blackcap, Jay, WWs, Meadow Pipit only.






Ogden Res was comatose: Grey Heron, Blackcap, WWs and 5 Chiffchaff including this very obliging camera friendly bird.
I am puzzled as to why on such a warm day I didn't get one hirundine.