Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Queensbury to Stod Fold

Started off with moans mutters and groans (whats new?) from yours truly but ended up with a smile so wide you could drive a Cheshire Cat through it.
Oats Royd on passage only had a couple Chiffchaff, few WW & a Swallow. Bradshaw through to Ned Hill a couple of Greenfinch and a pr Lapwing holding territory.


Ogden was windy wet and sunny depending on how you want to arrange it. 1 Grey Heron and a bonus of 5 Oystercatcher which is a personal high count although I know 7 have been recorded. WW were all over the shop but I never heard any Chiffs.

Then there was almost a half hour of bugger all until I felt obliged to do the golf course. A male WHINCHAT singing away at the bottom of a windswept tree was the first spirit lifter. A combination of wind, position of the bird and awkward angle prevented a picture however.
I reached the point of the track about 120 metres above the white house where the wall traverses across the juncus field and pondered my next move. The decision was made for me by a bird flitting around a wall top near the stile to Mixenden. The joy temperature rose 3 degrees more when I saw it was a male REDSTART. I walked through the rough to get in camera range but bizarrely the bird and 3 Linnet were spooked by a very boisterous pr of Mistle Thrush arriving out of nowhere.
The session was rounded off by 1 Canada Goose, 2 Curlew, a manic Oystercatcher whizzing around and 4 Swallow.