Birdbrain Stuff

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Dawlish Warren

The downside continues starting today when I arrived at about 1100 hrs. I took a wrong decision and ended up on a private access road. Luckily this got me a Whimbrel which I think is an annual. Also c100 Oystercatcher seen here along with a small number of Shelduck and 3 Little Egret.
Once I got my bearings it came all too obvious that access is a major problem to this side of the vast Exe estuary.

Also seen: several Curlew, c30 Canada, 1 GBBG, few BHG, numerous Herrings, 2 Mute Swan, distant unid Duck sp. A Tern sp. seemed to be calling above my head but strong sunlight prevented a visual.
1 Chiffchaff, Gt Tit bunch, few Linnet, 1 Skylark, 3 Swallows, 1 Grey Heron & a final Little Egret. By the side of the road, 1 sociable Moorhen which allowed pics from this mobile bone.
Back in Torquay an evening stroll round the quayside coughed up a pr Pied Wagtail ditto Rock Pipit and a modicum of Larus Screamsoshrillus.

Verdict? Don't get lulled by good Summer weather, even the coast can be comatose.

No comments: