Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Swillington Ings

2 Jay, 4 Stock Dove, 1 Buzzard & Kestrel. Grasshopper Warbler which is a personal site tick here. 3 Reed & c6 Sedge Warbler, 1 Chiffchaff.






2 Oystercatcher, 1 unid middling wader (heat haze and distance but subsequently thought to be the Ruff) several Lapwing.

4 Black-necked Grebe; both adults feeding one offspring each and showing well.
Also c7 GCG. Numerous Coot & Tufted Duck similar Canada & Greylag. 4 Pochard but for the first time no Gadwall. 2 Grey Heron, several Mute Swan.




Common Tern almost commonplace and I caught up with the Black Tern again!
Many BHG, 1 Reed  Bunting. I had to give into the free central heating and come home slightly early; I could  feel my skin sizzling.





Talking of heat, there wasn't a single hirundine or Swift to be seen here. My hypothesis being the midges and other flying insects were driven away so as not to cook and their predators had to follow in order to eat. Did they go higher? I don't know.