Birdbrain Stuff

Friday, July 29, 2016

Tale of a Pied Wag

Swalesmoor 0950 hrs. Walking up the track from the Queensbury end I came across a Pied Wagtail calling loudly; I looked down and it was on the deck a metre in front of me! It was scrambling away so I picked it up and found no obvious sign of injury, I put it down only for me to pick it up again as two cyclists were creeping up behind me. I put it back on the deck again and it moved into some grass and buried it's head, hence this photo.


When I got to the field of a thousand wagtails, I could plainly see there had been some movement of birds away from the area, probably due to the rainfall overnight. I spent about half an hour searching and found no sign of any flava wagtails whatsoever and the alba species were down to c20 birds.
On the way back, the a/m Pied was once again creeping up the track and as before when I passed over, it buried it's head in the grassy verge and I moved on.
Other: 4 Skylark, several Meadow Pipit, couple Whitethroat, few Linnet, 2 Goldfinch, 2 LBBG, an increased number of caawvids.

Mixenden to Ogden Res.
The pits; 3 House Martin over the water only. The walk along bottom of Hunter Hill to the golf course was boring producing only Jackdaws until I reached the style adjacent to the big juncus field. As I watched a flock of c18 Linnet and a WW in the Hawthorns, a Grasshopper Warbler gave two short reeling bursts from the deep vegetation. I presume this is the bird I saw here previously on Thurs 21st July.
I managed another WW here and a singing Song Thrush plus Blackbird then it was quiet until I got to the water.
2 Cormorant, c100 BHG, 5/6 Common & 3 LBBG, 1 Chiffchaff, ditto Blackbird and a final Song Thrush.

No comments: