Birdbrain Stuff

Friday, November 25, 2016

Queensbury South Surprise

1150-1350 hrs in mild conditions. Generally quiet with 2 highlights 7/8 mins apart.
Foster Park: singing Mistle Thrush, 1 each Redwing & Chaffinch, 4 Goldfinch, 3 Blue & a Gt Tit.
Cross Lane area: 10 Common Snipe, 1 Pied Wagtail, Wren, 9 Common Gull, c40 BH gull, an epidemic of Starling.

After crossing over from the trailer park, I headed up Shaw Lane and got a glimpse of a streamlined bird flying into a field. 2 mins later, luckily for me, it alighted on a wall to reveal itself as a Ring-necked Parakeet.




This is  certainly a local personal record  and a possible national too. I can't be bothered to check on the latter as I've seen scores of 'em in Amsterdam, less so in Eastern Europe. Still, I'm pleased to have broken the monotony of local birding.