Birdbrain Stuff

Friday, December 16, 2016

2016 List: 7 Missing Locals

Strange how your luck can change from one year to the next. There are some glaring omissions from my list for the broader Calderdale area for this year, namely:
Black Redstart, Osprey, Short-eared Owl, Snow Bunting, Woodcock, Yellow-legged Gull, Whooper Swan.
The first two are acceptable on the basis of their being both scarce and intermittent
e.g historically I have sighting gaps in the past 16-1/2 years annual records.

SEO is the biggest mystery and disappointment having had them on a regular basis down the years and since 2007 frequently on Soil Hill. I Count 2015 as my bumper year having discovered a family of newbies in addition to known individuals.

Snow Bunting  & Woodcock are two birds found previously on Soil Hill regularly. I put down the overgrown vegetation on the top of the hill for the  former but the latter has me confounded. 3 sightings per Autumn/Winter of Woodcock was the norm, perhaps the reason for their absence is broader based.

Finally YLG & Whooper Swan. Just my bad luck this year for Yellow-legged; they have been around the local reservoirs. Ogden has been my main source but this year my timing has been out.
There has been a paucity of Autumn/Winter  appearances of Whoopers. Ogden Res has normally produced 2 or 3 sightings of upto 5 birds by todays date.