Birdbrain Stuff

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Dorset Day 4

After 2-1/2 hours in Swanage I went into a booksellers and found 3 copies of The Birds of Swanage. It is one page shorter than the Birds of Ogden i.e 2 pages in total. I took a copy and the counter person paid me £1.50 for the inconvenience.

The most interesting but brief experience was when an auk sp appeared out of nowhere about 35 yards offshore. Twice I raised the bins and twice the bird took this as a cue to dive. It then disappeared, didn't fly, just removed itself from view. I'm clocking it as a Guillebill.
Others: 2 each Rock Pipit & Pied Wagtail, 1 Blackbird, Gulls.

Poole Harbour although very windy did alleviate the frustration with a fine drake Red-breasted Merganser, Turnstone, several Oystercatcher, some distant unid waders, 5 Brent Geese and a flock of Canadas.

No comments: