Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Ogden Whooper Swans

Thanks to a text from DJS (subsequently BS also) I was able to ring DW and pass on the news of 5 Whooper Swan on Ogden Res. This was a superfluous action: Dave had just parked his car there and within a couple of minutes he was on to them. I rushed to get ready and then received a call from him saying that they had flown off in the general direction of TMR at around 0950 hrs.



Photos: DW
Seeing as I was dressed I traipsed up to Soil Hell in the hope of seeing the Stonechats at the 13th attempt. I failed miserably: it would seem these birds are either BS fans, PM fans, or both.
There were 10 Skylark on top, c60 Lapwing down at the bottom also 2 Mallard and a Grey Heron in flight. Fog prevented me from picking out any Golden Plover that may have been present.

Raggalds sports field held about c190 Lapwing and 5 small gulls. I decided to go down to the cricket pitch in Old Guy Rd, Queensbury to look for Skylark. Only this Common Gull was present, along with one more in a field.



All was not lost in the plodding up and down, I got my first Grey Wagtail of the year...
at Chapel Lane in Queensbury.😌