Birdbrain Stuff

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Swillingtons Ings

Started off at 1150 hrs in cold damp conditions with grey skies; light sleet following soon after. I managed two hours birding before my aging body succumbed to common sense and I called it a draw.
Large flock of Goldfinch with some Greenfinch, Chaffinch and a pr Bullfinch thrown in. Another smaller party of Goldfinch had a few Lesser Redpoll in with them.

I spent a good 25 minutes searching for the Long-tailed Duck and finally found it among some Goosander, Goldeneye pr and a bunch of Tufted; views weren't exactly scintillating however.
A massive skein of PFG were seen in the distance, possibly over 500 birds.
Gadwall numbers were good, not so Pochard with only a pr viewed.
Tufted numbers were high. 3 Little Egret (I missed the Great White).
c11 Cormorant, 1 Shelduck, 6 Greylag, c70 Canada.
Waders were down to 1 Redshank and maybe c200 Lapwing.


Im not sure about a fleeting glimpse of f  Marsh Harrier but I did get 2 f Kestrel, one of which allowed a photo. 1 each of Skylark & Reed Bunting also encountered, plus the expected water fowl, several GBBG were on the deck.