Birdbrain Stuff

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Local Rarity

Decided to search for Wheatear up Old Guy Rd, arriving at around 1335 hours. I did find a pr Mallard, 1 Skylark, 2 Woodpigeon, 3 Lapwing, c11 Meadow Pipit, c150 Starling & 2 Snipe, but not the intended. I am not in anyway depressed by this, as I found something of  far more importance for the local species list. A male Ring Ouzel was sat in the middle of a field about 35 yards away from the track leading to Fleet Lane. It flew onto a wall for a few seconds before dropping down out of sight.
I alerted local birders and while in conversation with BS, I saw the bird again flying from the said wall back in the direction of Old Guy Rd. I tried to retrace the bird, camera at the ready but to no avail. Even with the help of messrs DP and DW the bird remained hidden or it had moved on.

DP and me then paid a flying visit to the Cross Lane area only to find 4 Meadow Pipit in the fields but were happy to get a low flying Sparrowhawk > S. DP was also happy to have had his first Merlin of the year at another location.

DW reports 3 Wheatear, 2 Stonechat in fields by the wind turbines and also a flock of Golden Plover in the vicinity plus one other.