Birdbrain Stuff

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Miss Then Big Time Hit

An appalling start at Raggalds Flood with nothing showing. The Hill too wasn't big shakes though I did spend some time with some photogenic Skylarks (pics to follow if I find time). 6 LBBG > N.
Ogden Res was also comatose: GSW drumming, Coal Tit carrying nest material, WWs and couple Chiffchaffs. I thought call it a draw and go home but my inherent stubborness and love of depression forced me on like a zombie.

Then up the track from Brookhouse in the rough ground, it started to happen.



I checked the wall and got a Linnet but then 3/4 minutes later I clocked this cracking male Whinchat which hung around for about 10 minutes. This certainly lifted my spirits and so I ventured on over the style and on to Mixenden.

Checking the spot where I nailed 4 Wheatear a couple days back, I got sight of a dark thrush type in flight and could tell it weren't yer average blackbird by the slender body and flight pattern. Was I over the moon when it stopped and perched atop a tree at Hunter Hill bottom.



As expected but in reality more hoped for it turned out to be a belting male Ring Ouzel which is a first for this location about 300 metres away from Mixenden Res and only my second of the year.
Shortly after taking these shots the bird flew off up the hill only to land atop another tree and survey it's surroundings.

The reservoir calmed things down: pr Grey Wagtail, 2 Chiffchaff, WW, 5 Swallow, no sign of  the Redshanks.