Birdbrain Stuff

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Soil Hill to Mixenden

Another intense effort looking for migrants and another blank up at the heights of Ogden. Oddly enough I did manage 5 Redpoll sp. On 3 separate occasions: a pr, single, another pr. This species appears to have been reclassified hence no Lesser/Common until I get to grips with the facts.

Soil Hill had been unusually windless and calm but there was nowt to shout about. 1 Whitethroat, 3 Swallows, 2 Chaffinch and usual residents.

The golf course walk to Mixenden was also quiet and I'm in a quandary as to whether I heard a singing Whinchat in among a couple of singing Whitethroat - all at a distance. One to let go methinks.
A WW was seen carrying nest material.

The reservoir had the usual prs Grey Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Redshank and a Chiffchaff.
I'm still awaiting my first Sand Martin and Swift of the year.

No comments: